Saturday 3 March 2012

Nothingness

I had a dream
I remember it.
Someone called my name
Asake, asake, asake
I looked around me
It was void
I continued my journey to the land of nothingness

I heard the voice again
Asake, asake, asake
This time I answered
Then there was no reply
Maybe a dream murderer
In fear, I started walking fast
Walking fast to the land of nothingness

Asake where are you going to?
The voice asked
It was as that of my grandmother
But she was long dead
Long cremated and thrown into the sea
Notwithstanding, I answered
I am going to the land of nothingness

Suddenly night went, Day came
The sun burnt my feet as I walked
I began to long for slippers.
there is no slippers in the land of nothingness
in fact the land of nothingness had nothing
why do you go there
I saw the old woman as she asked

She was dressed in black mourning gown
She wasn’t my grandma
Her back was bent in a hunch
She held a walking stick to support her movement
Don’t go there she warned
You could come back mourning
But no one would mourn for you

I ignored her
The old were not wise as they seemed
I continued my journey
All the luxury I would receive in the land of nothingness
The ground became a dessert
And there was no water
I could turn back but I kept walking to the land of nothingness

Then I reached there and knocked
The door was opened
I saw young women my age
They were dressed in fancy clothes
I looked at my clothes and dreaded my appearance
They gave clothes
I wore them to the parties in the land of nothingness

I made myself believe I was one of them
I partied and had fun
I drank and smoked
I ate and ate
I lived a luxurious life
I lied to everyone
But I couldn’t lie to my heart not even in nothingness

Then there was a famine in nothingness
The trends dropped
So did the food and water
I wanted to cry
We dressed in rags
I wished I had listened to the old woman
I wished I hadn’t lied to myself

Years had gone,
I wanted to go back home
But when I looked in the mirror
I was but invisible
I had changed
I had changed in the land of nothingness

Then I had woken up
It was all dream
I promised to always listen to my conscience
The only person who would mourn for me
After I became bad
But I wasn’t going to be bad
Because I wasn’t going back to nothingness

No comments:

Post a Comment